December 10, 2010

Yummy Gingerbread Men


My Mother-in-law definitely makes the best gingerbread cookies......so here's her recipe that we use every year!  (You can see how "loved" it has been!)


You will need these ingredients (and milk.....forgot to get the milk for the picture!)....


Cream 1/3 cup of butter with 1/2 cup dark brown sugar......no...your eyes are not failing you, I didn't have dark brown, so it's light brown....it all tastes the same, right?!



(and yes.....that mixer is so old that it made my Christmas cookies when I was a little girl!)



Add 1/3 cup of molasses.....and it must be  Grandma's.  If there's a "secret ingredient" to this recipe, this is what makes the cookies sooooo yummy!



Cream it in.....(is that even a real baking instruction???)


Now the recipe calls for you to sift all dry ingredients together.  I'm sure that there's a very good and important reason to do that, but I never do...shhhhhh! don't tell my MIL!!!  



I just add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. baking soda to the bowl....mix and then add my 2 cups of flour......


When you add the flour, alternate the 2 cups with 1/4 cup of milk.

The recipe calls for an optional 1/2 cup of finely chopped nuts....I've never added them....



Refrigerate for 1 hour (or 2 days if you're busy....).


Roll out the dough to whatever thickness you prefer.....some like thin and crispy in our house....and be sure to get flour to cover any flat surface in a 3 meter radius!




...allow your 9 year old son to take a picture with flour-covered hands all over your new camera.....shhh!  don't tell my husband....



...catch your daughter eating all the cookie dough and threaten to send her to her room and make her cry....



Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.


Decorate.....eat in 1 day and repeat the whole process because there are no more cookies left!


To decorate...we just add a little bit of water to powdered sugar and use toothpicks to add eyes and accessories.....it's tradition!


Yummy!!!

1 comment:

Alison Agnew said...

So cute! And I never sift either...I'm way too lazy for that.

Thanks for linking up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...