May 9, 2011

Burned silk flowers and their multiple uses.....


{Silky Flower Hair Clips}



I know, I know.....these are on every blog and are in no way original, but still......I think that they are so pretty!  And recently, I have worn them a few places and people have asked me how I made them.....so here's a quick tutorial....

Somewhere along the way, I lost the picture of my thrifted scarf......I got a sheer white scarf at Gift and Thrift for $1.00 and it has been burned into a multitude of projects.....so pretend that you saw it!


I also used an old shirt that I never wear......ignore the fly-swatter....as soon as it gets warm in Lancaster County all the flies come out....grr!


Cut circles out of your silky fabric....truly, I didn't measure (why is that not a surprise!)....you're burning the edges....they are going to be random anyway.....why worry about a perfect circle???


At first I was really nervous and was afraid that I would catch the house on fire....but it more melts than flames....although it will flame!  It might be wise to have a bowl of water nearby and nothing flammable real close by.....




Alternate idea......I made some minature flowers.....sewed them together in the center....added a little pearl and then hot-glued it to a ring-form.....it is sooo cute!  It gets noticed everytime I wear it!





I also made a bunch of different layers with coordinating fabric and then sewed (and hot-glued) them to a black sweater.  Some of them were a little floppy....they needed another touch of hot glue!


I made the sweater during the winter....yeah, I am just getting this post up..... but I think that I may try embellishing a plain white t-shirt with some spring patterened burned flowers....now I just need to find a spring-y/summer-y scarf to burn!

One more suggestion.....just take a plain white t-shirt and add twisted fabric flowers up in the corner!


 
And finally....I used this t-shirt from Goodwill....


I know....adorable "ain't" it!  I made twisted fabric flowers to glue into the center of my silky flowers.....




Since I am trying to grow my hair long and we're entering that 'ole awkward-ponytail phase, I can hot glue these flowers to an alligator clip and throw it in the back of my hair by my ponytail and feel cute!



1 comment:

Lil Mama Stuart said...

I like the rolled+burned combo. I would totally be afraid of setting the house on fire too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...