July 25, 2011

Fancy-up your flip-flops....

I spend my summer in flip flops....here's the proof...


Yep...that's a flip-flop tan line! 




I start my summer by making a trip to Old Navy to buy flip-flops..... don't you just love their wall of flip-flops???  Despite their beautiful wall of colors, I am quite boring in my choices.....brown, black and white!  One year I bought red, but they are still sitting in my closet!


By July, those $2.50 pair of flips are looking a little ragged....and I'm getting a little bored of my brown, black, white rotation!


So, I decided to "spice" up my flips!




It's super easy.....no sewing skill is required!  (My sewing machine and I aren't always on speaking terms!)


Grab a pile of coordinating fabric....yes, even that was overwhelming for me so I bought a pack from Joanne's that was already put together.  It cost about $6.00 on sale and we made at least 6 pairs of flip flops from that pack.






Decide on a pattern and start from the middle working your way out.....tying double knots as you go along.




One helpful hint is to make the fabric strips longer and then trim them at the end.


...and that's it!  An easy, inexpensive way to spice up those summertime flip-flops!




Here are a few other ideas to use on your flips....


You can wrap fluffy yarn around them for fuzzy flips...



...you can also use ribbon instead of fabric.  I made these patriotic flips!




The nice thing about this idea is that it is not a permanent change to your shoes!  If you get tired of the color....just undo the knots!


Do you wear flip-flops??



6 comments:

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

I'm sporting the flip flop tan line this summer too. Love your ideas. Cute red, white and blue. Will have to keep that in mind.

ConnieDawn said...

Hi Nikki,
Remember making potholders as a kid? The polyester loop thingys used for those are great for flip flops! They are kind of puffy and look great when used in a colorful pattern. Designing, coordinating colors and making these flip flops make for a fun activity with your daughter. :) We even made some for gifts!

Anonymous said...

I have the same tan lines!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

Haha the first picture made me laugh. :) My feet look the same. It's a really cute pic. :)

Erika said...

Just found your blog after I "pinned" this flip flop tutorial from the V Spot! I love your blog! And I noticed you have a Thrifty Thursday link party--so do I! How funny is that? Gotta love being thrifty :) I plan on making over a pair of my daughter's flip flops this wknd. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Erika@Thrifty and Fabuless said...

Hi, it's me again! Lol. Just wanted to let you know I gave this tutorial a try and it turned out great. Feel free to check it out:

http://thriftyandfabuless.blogspot.com/2011/09/flip-flop-fun.html

Thanks so much for sharing such a fun (and easy) project.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...