August 8, 2011

The easiest sweet rolls.....ever!





If you've been reading my blog, then you know that I am a self-professed poor baker.  Baking is just not my thing although I continue to try.  So, "made-from-scratch" sweet rolls are just not happening in my house!


But.....I can make "homemade" sweet rolls by using my "secret" ingredient.....


Frozen bread dough!!!  
I use it as a base for SO many meals!!


Let your bread dough un-thaw.  If you forget (like me!) and don't put it out early enough, you can microwave it on Power Level 1 for intervals of 10 minutes.  Just don't let it get hard and crusty on the ends!




Grab some brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and butter.....Oops! I forgot to show the butter!


Melt about 1/2 stick butter (or margarine) over low heat until completely melted.  Brush it onto your bread dough.  I just roll the dough out into a rectangle shape.  If I am trying to "stretch" the recipe, then I s-t-r-e-t-c-h the dough!




Sorry, but I don't measure for the next part.  I probably add about 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup of sugar and then just sprinkle the cinnamon on top.  If you add too much sugar and butter, then it all oozes out and makes a big gooey mess in  your pan!




Roll your dough into a long tube....rolling on the longest side.




You will have multiple layers of yummy goodness!!




Place in your greased pan leaving space between the rolls.  They will expand!  At this point (if you are not rushing through the recipe!), you can throw a dishtowel over your pan and let the rolls rise (raise?!) a little.  


I was rushing....it was 10:00 at night and I was making these for my son's birthday breakfast....I just wanted to get to bed!


I bake my rolls at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.  Because I vary the size of my rolls, I usually have to watch them instead of setting a timer!






To make the icing, I just put powdered sugar in a cup and add small amounts of water to make a paste.  Then, I just spoon it over the cooled rolls!


You must allow the rolls to cool completely before adding the icing....otherwise, it just melts away into nothing on the bottom of your pan!



They were gone in 1 meal!



What are your shortcuts?

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks so good! We are on the SAME cooking wavelength!! This is totally home made as far as I'm concerned. :)

Paulette said...

That sounds so yummy! I'll be looking for frozen bread dough on my next trip to the grocery!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

I just made cinnamon rolls last week. I was in the mood for some and whipped out my breadmaker to do the hard part of mixing and kneading for me then I just roll them out. I'll be posting mine soon.

Alison Agnew said...

well technically, the easiest sweet rolls ever are the ones you get from cinnabon...;) but this is my go-to recipe as well...we love them...thanks for posting to ff!

alison

Johnnie said...

My hubby will be very grateful for this post in the morning! Blessings...

Johnnie

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Those look delish! I'm going to try this!

Katie @ Newcomb Home said...

YUM! I made these last Christmas, thank you for the reminder, I'll have to do it again. I'm right there with ya - I have yet to tackle homemade dough!

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

Oh wow! I LOVE sweet rolls. Anything to make the process easier. Now I will need to try these. Thanks for the recipe and tips!

Anonymous said...

Great roll recipe. I will try to make it.

send gifts to pakistan

rachel blazer said...

just in time for our '1st day of school' celebration breakfast! thanks for passing along the tip! : )

Anonymous said...

I will be getting some frozen dough soon. I usually make them from scratch for my son's youth group at church but this will save me time. For the frosting however, I prefer confectioners sugar, butter and milk, and vanilla extract. Really gives the rolls a little extra bang. My Granny Pea would turn over in her grave if I used water in the frosting-lol. Thanks for sharing!

Terry said...

Does "un-thaw" mean "to freeze?" LOL.

Deborah March said...

LOVE the way you think! (lol) Will definitely do these for my grandkidlets!

Jill said...

I've used the bread maker to make the dough, this is much simpler, and I never would have though of it! Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...