September 16, 2011

Gilding a pumpkin....

Bon Jour!  I am Karen from the blog Redoux and I am happy to be guest
posting here at Thrifty Decorating today!

I don't know about you, but I am really ready for the Fall. This is my favorite time of year, the leaves change color, and the air gets crisp.  I have done a little "prepping" for Halloween decor already.

Here Goes my 1st project:



Materials needed:
  • White or Orange faux pumpkin purchased from Craft Store
  • Metallic Silver and Copper Spray Paint
  • Metallic Silver and Gold Craft Paint (I am really loving the Martha Steward brand, much better than the cheaper stuff)
  • Small paintbrush, (I used a 1 inch brush)
  • Very fine Gauge Wire, about 3 inches per pumpkin
  • Nail, or other sharp object (for puncturing the stem) 
This is your pumpkin before:

    Start by Spray Painting your Pumpkin in Silver or Bronze (only one color per pumpkin!)
     
    After paint dries, use metallic craft paint and "dry brush" from the stem down, all around the pumpkin.  (This mimics the natural color variation you would see on a real pumpkin, but not gold and silver....)




    When craft paint is dry, paint stem in metallic craft paint.

    While Stem is drying, use about a 3-4 inch piece of the wire and wrap around a pencil to make a "ringlet"



    When Stem is dry, use a sharp object (I used a large nail), to "make a hole" for the wire.  Stick one end of the wire into the stem, until it feels secure.  (You can also stick the wire in, then do the ringlet)

    Now you have a beautiful Fall/Halloween Gilded "Jacque - o - lantern"!




    Ahh, so much better!  From Orange to Ooo la la!

    -------------------------------

    Karen has a wonderful blog called Redoux and she
    also has a weekly link party...

    Redoux


    You can head over and see what other fall ideas
    are linking up!

    No comments:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...